Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Night World: Secret Vampire by L.J. Smith


Night World: Secret Vampire by L.J. Smith
Published: 1996 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing Division
Page Amount: 242 Pages
Series: Night World

The Night World isn’t a place. It’s the world of vampires, witches, and shapeshifters who live in the human world—by their own rules. And the first two rules of the Night World are simple: 1) Never tell any human about its existence, and 2) Never fall in love with a human.
Spunky, sassy Poppy has always been in the best of health. Until today, when she discovers that she has a rare disease, and only weeks to live. James, her best friend, and the coolest boy at school, is confronted with a frightening decision. He can make Poppy a vampire like him, or he can let her die. But telling Poppy about the Night World is almost as dangerous as letting her die of a human disease, for he’s broken both of the Night World’s rules, and fallen in love with her.


The Secret Vampire was a lot better than what I thought it would be. I bought it on recommendation from Alex (Check out his blog here) and then I found out I actually bought the wrong book! I was supposed to get the Secret Circle by L.J. Smith. Whoops! Then I went on vacation to Gatlinburg this week. I needed a book to bring, but I knew I would kick butt on them while gone, so I picked up the biggest book on my shelf. It may have only gotten three stars, but remember, that is an average book definitely worth reading for me!

The plot was very good. It wasn't as unique as it could be (But honestly, what vampire story hasn't been written before?) and it set up a brand new world that was very rare to young adult books.

The characters sort of bored me. They were just like other characters, and the main character was very wimpy. It kept talking about how strong she was, but she didn't seem very strong to me. I can't say much without spoiling, but she relied way to much on everyone else.

The setting was a little confusing, but it definitely got the point across.

Plot: 4/5
Characters: 3/5
Setting: 3/5

No comments:

Contact Us



Youtube


Facebook


Goodreads (Gina)

Goodreads (Angie)

E-mail: yafictionfreaks@yahoo.com